Cauliflower Pizza Crust (and a confession)

Pride goes before the fall. Truer words have never been spoken.

Last night I made this cauliflower pizza crust. It was good. It was nothing like a real pizza crust, but I liked it. The crust, a combination of cauliflower, egg, cheese, and spices, was more like a frittata than dough. It didn’t have a lot of structure so a fork and knife were required.



The finished product:

While I liked this recipe, I wanted to love it. I mean, what could be better than replacing high calorie, low nutrient, overly refined flour pizza dough with a crust made of eggs (protein), cauliflower (veggies), and cheese (deliciousness)? Plus, I could tell it wasn’t going to save well so I wanted to try to cut it down to a single serving size.

For those of you who’ve been fooled into thinking I’m some kind of domestic goddess, brace yourselves. My culinary incompetence was on full display tonight! (A can of refried beans once landed me in the ER and earned me three stitches. This is the norm, not delicious dessert cookie dough hummus.)

I made the crust per the recipe with a few minor changes. I added 2 tablespoons of spelt flour to give it a more dough-like consistency and cut back on the amount of cheese and cauliflower to make it a single serving. Then I baked it as directed.

So far, so good. The crust was a perfect golden brown and things were looking promising. I topped it with sauce, roasted veggies and cheese and threw it back in on broil.

Only, I put it on high instead of low. And I forgot to set the timer. Guess what happened?

Burnt to a crisp. I don’t have a picture because the blackened mess was indistinguishable from the black cast iron skillet in which it was baked.

I managed to salvage a bit of the middle section and while it wasn’t pretty, it was pretty good.

Then it was back to the kitchen to face that darned skillet. Any other pan and I probably would’ve just thrown it out, but I had to go and cook it in the cast iron skillet my grandmother passed down to me. After several rounds of alternating between boiling water in it and scrubbing it, it finally came clean.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the kitchen, a loaf of whole wheat bread was patiently rising.

And rising.

And rising.

And then it exploded out of the loaf pan!

I transferred it to a casserole dish only to remember that the dish was supposed to be greased. I got out the butter, greased my dutch oven (the only thing I had left to bake with at this point), poured the dough in and let it sit for a little longer since all that transferring had caused it to fall.

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t what I expected. It was dense like a quick bread which wasn’t what I was looking for, however, I am hesitant to pass judgment as I suspect the outcome would’ve been very different had I not had to transfer it to 3 different pans.

In other news, my new mandolin(e?) slicer arrived today. Needless to say, I won’t be testing it out any time soon. I like my fingers just as they are, firmly attached to my hand, and with the luck I’ve had in the kitchen today…


27 January 2012. Recipes/Reviews.

One Comment

  1. The Price of a Piece of Pizza « The Real Food Experiment replied:

    […] you’ve been following this blog, you know of my pizza woes. The cauliflower pizza failures. The sad pita pizzas. Nothing has quite measured up to the real thing. And here in front […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback URI

%d bloggers like this: